Instructor Welcome & Contact Information

Welcome!

Welcome to Computer Science 101! We look forward to working with you this semester as we learn how to use Microsoft Office and how it can be used to support data analysis and problem solving.

It will be very important for you to be self-motivated and disciplined to ensure that you stay on top of your CS101 work. CS101 is a 4-credit hour course and has the workload similar to other 4-credit courses like Calculus. While you may not be in the classroom for 4 hours a week, it's a good idea to set aside time just like if you were. We suggest planning for at least 5 hours per week on this course, although your individual needs may vary.  If you have a question about the course, please contact me. My email address is savan.suri@mail.wvu.edu, and I try to respond within 24 hours.

To learn and master the content, we have selected Exploring Microsoft Office 2016, Comprehensive Editions for Excel, Access, Word & Powerpoint as your textbook. To provide you with practice on the course material, we will assign at least 19 Participation Projects that will be due as the semester progresses.  To both allow you to practice and be evaluated in a practical manner with the material, we have selected Pearson's MyITLab software.  Additionally, you will be assigned six Homeworks and three Exams.  

Please visit the Start Here page for information on how to get started and find all of the course components.

About Your Instructor

My name is Savan Suri. This is my first semester teaching CS 101. I have an undergraduate degree in Electronics & Communications engineering from Dr. M.G.R. University, India and hold dual master's degree in Electrical & Mechanical engineering from West Virginia University (WVU). Currently, I am a PhD student in Electrical engineering at WVU. My research interests are focused on advanced energy conversion technologies.

I currently live in Morgantown, West Virginia. I love going places, playing volleyball & board games and enjoy outdoor photography. I also have keen interest in current world affairs.

Contact Information

The best way to contact me is via email, please use your WVU MIX account and include your full name and section number.

Name: 
Savan Suri
E-mail Address: 
savan.suri@mail.wvu.edu
Office: 
210M Armstrong Hall (Morgantown, Downtown Campus)
Office Hours:
Wednesday from 3:30PM-5:30PM during Open Lab in 219 Armstrong Hall.

If you wish to meet at a certain time, please email me in advance as I may have other engagements.