Even if you have no previous programming experience, you can learn to code in the R programming language with Computer Science 293A! This 3-credit course is offered periodically.
R is a powerful language for data analysis
- R is the de facto language for quantitative researchers.
- Easy to learn, even with no previous programming experience.
- A large online community with many resources available in case you need help.
- Packages like dplyr, ggplot2, and R Markdown make it easy to use Python for statistical computing tasks.
Tableau helps visualize your data
- Tableau is a widely used platform for data analysis and business intelligence.
- Its pivot and organization features allow users to explore their data to look for patterns and trends.
- Tableau helps visualize and share data in forms that are easy for everyone to understand.
R and Tableau skills are in-demand
- R is ranked as the #2 programming language to learn in 2018 by TechRepublic, a publication for IT professionals. 
- R and Tableau help corporations like Google, Pfizer, REI, and PepsiCo perform data analysis and visualization , .
What you’ll learn in CS293A
Python is an easy-to-use programming language for statistical computing. Tableau is a powerful tool for data analysis and visualization. In CS293A, you’ll learn how to:
- Use decision structures like If statements
- Write For and While loops
- Organize data with vectors, matrices, factors, and dataframes
- Filter and subset data
- Create and use functions
- Read and write files
- Manipulate strings
- Use packages and external libraries
- Perform regression analysis
- Visualize data with Tableau and ggplot2
Who should take CS293A
Python programming skills can benefit many students. Consider taking CS293A if you:
- Want to learn how to program
- Have large datasets to analyze for your research or work
- Wish to learn valuable skills that employers want
- Are interested in Computer Science as a major or minor
- N. Heath, "Five highly-paid and in-demand programming languages to learn in 2018," TechRepublic, Dec. 18, 2017, Available: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/five-highly-paid-and-in-demand-programming-languages-to-learn-in-2018/.
- “Solutions: Customer Stories,” Tableau Software. Available: https://www.tableau.com/resources/all/customer-stories.
A. Vance, “R, the Software, Finds Fans in Data Analysts,” New York Times, Jan. 06, 2009, Available: https://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/technology/business-computing/07program.html.