Instructor Welcome & Contact Information

Welcome!

Welcome to Computer Science 101! We look forward to working with you this semester as we learn how to use Microsoft Office and how it can be used to support data analysis and problem solving.

It will be very important for you to be self-motivated and disciplined to ensure that you stay on top of your CS101 work. CS101 is a 4-credit hour course and has the workload similar to other 4-credit courses like Calculus. While you may not be in the classroom for 4 hours a week, it's a good idea to set aside time just like if you were. We suggest planning for at least 5 hours per week on this course, although your individual needs may vary.  If you have a question about the course, please contact me. My email address is open.and.edit.the.email.address.link.too@mail.wvu.edu, and I try to respond within 24 hours.

To learn and master the content, we have selected Exploring Microsoft Office 2016 as your textbook. To provide you with practice on the course material, we will assign at least 23 Participation Projects that will be due as the semester progresses.  To both allow you to practice and be evaluated in a practical manner with the material, we have selected Pearson's MyLabIT software.  Additionally, you will be assigned six Homeworks and three Exams.  

Please visit the Start Here page for information on how to get started and find all of the course components.

About Your Instructor

My name is Ranya Almohsen. I have a Bachelor of Science and Master of Science in Computer Science. I am currently pursuing a PhD degree in Computer Science from West Virginia University. 

My research focus on building machine learning and computer vision methods for novelty detection and domain adaptation.

I like to hike and enjoy nature; it helps me to relax my mind and charge my body with oxygen and endorphins.

Contact Information

The best way to contact me is via email, please use your WVU MIX account and include your full name and section number.

Name: 
Ranya Almohsen
E-mail Address: 
ralmohse@mail.wvu.edu
Office: 
210M Armstrong Hall (Morgantown, Downtown Campus)
Office Hours:
Thursday from 3:30PM-5:30:00PM during Open Lab in 219 Armstrong Hall.

If you wish to meet at a certain time, please email me in advance as I may have other engagements.