Robert Phipps

Section 7D1

Welcome to the website for CS101 Section 7D1, Summer 2018

If you need to contact me, all my information is here: http://cs101.wvu.edu/instructors/phipps/instructor/

You should plan to check your MIX e-mail account and visit this webpage daily to remain up-to-date on important information in the course.

Please note that we don't use eCampus.

New to the course?

Get started with Computer Science 101 by visiting the Start Here page. Learn out about your instructor on the Instructor Welcome & Contact Information page.

Getting Started

Please read through the getting started link. Make sure you have the book, the MyIT software (it comes with the book if you purchase the recommended eText bundled), as well as the Microsoft Office software.  If you have a Mac, please be sure to read our information for Mac users.  WVU provides all students Microsoft Office free of charge - if you need any help accessing it, information on how to do so is listed in Getting Started.

Once you have finished reading Getting Started, you may want to look at the resources below.  As mentioned in the Getting Started document, I'd also like an introduction from you.  You can follow the instructions on the Assignments page on what I'm looking for, and submit a Word document via to homework submission tool.  I will compile that information and share it with the class.  

Course Units

Here is a link to our course units - Course Unit Page.  Please note that the Course Units have notes and course objectives.  Our deadlines are listed on the Section Schedule page, along with suggested daily readings.  The Assignments page has all of the information you will need to complete the assignments.

eText Access

If you've purchased access to the eText, here are links to access it.

MyIT Lab Access

Please be sure that you've followed the instructions to register for MyIT Lab on the Start Here Page.  

Announcements

Register for MyIT Lab

The first MyIT Lab due date is on Friday, May 18 at 11:55 pm.  Please start early!  Please make sure you have registered and completed Lesson A by then.  Any work submitted after 5/18 at 11:55 pm will be subject to a 50% late fee.  MyIT Lab can be turned in late up and until 6/22 at 11:55 pm for a 50% late fee.

If you have a financial aid issue and can't purchase MyIT lab immediately, please take advantage of MyIT Lab's 14 day free trial.  You can begin work and later purchase a registration code without losing anything you've started.

Read the Start Here page!

Read the Start Here page at http://cs101.wvu.edu/instructors/phipps/start/

It contains information about registering for MyIT and the textbook that you'll need.  Please read through it.

Beginning of Term - Summer 2018

Please take time to work through the Start Here Page.  Watch the video on navigating the CS101 website.  Look over the assignments that I have posted.

CS101 does not use eCampus

CS101 does not use eCampus. Please be sure to check your MIX e-mail and visit the CS101 website on a daily basis. All grades are published on the CS101 website - please check the Grades and Submissions link on the right side of the screen.

Read more...

MyIT Lab Lesson #A

MyLab IT Lab Lesson A will be due on 5/18

Login to MyIT Lab, click on MyIT Lab Assignments in the left pane navigation, then choose MyIT Lab Lessons.  Choose MyLab Lesson A

Please set aside several hours to complete the first MyIT Lab Lesson.  I do not recommend doing it in one sitting the evening it is due.

Please make sure your pop-up blocker is turned off.

If you miss the deadline, you can turn in MyIT Lab Lesson A late - until 6/22.  After the due date of 5/18, it is subject to a 50% late fee!

MyIT Lab Lesson #B

MyLab IT Lesson B will be due on 5/22

Login to MyLab, click on MyLab Assignments in the left pane navigation, then choose MyIT Lab Lessons.  Choose MyIt Lab Lesson B

If you miss the deadline, you can turn in MyIT Lab Lesson B late - until 6/22.  After the due date of 5/22 it is subject to a 50% late fee!

MyIT Lab Lesson #C

MyIT Lab Lesson C will be due on 5/30

Login to MyLab, click on MyLab Assignments in the left pane navigation, then choose MyIT Lab Lessons.  Choose MyIt Lab Lesson C

If you miss the deadline, you can turn in MyIT Lab Lesson C late - until 6/22.  After the due date of 5/30, it is subject to a 50% late fee!

Homework 1

Homework 1 is due Monday, May 21 by 11:55 pm!

You can find the list of assignments here.

Need help?  Be sure to

Remember, the homework is worth 50 points (half a letter grade). If you turn it in late, each day late is 20% of your grade!

If you have questions, please let me know via email or an office visit.

Homework 2

Homework 2 is due May 23!

You can find the list of assignments here.

Need help?  Be sure to

Homework 3

Homework 3 is due 5/29!

Need help?  Be sure to

Late fees & Penalties

Just a reminder from the syllabus-

All homeworks are due at 11:55 pm the day they are listed as due.  For each day after the due date, 20% is deducted.

All participation projects should be completed by the day they are due.  

MyIT Labs are due by 11:55 pm the day they are listed as due.  You may complete late MyIT Labs for 50% credit up and until the late deadline date (listed on the schedule).

Please note the distinctions!

First Exam

If you are taking an on-campus course, you should plan to take the exam with one of the on-campus CS 101 sections.  They meet at 9 am and 12:30 pm in room 206 Armstrong Hall on the downtown Morgantown campus.  You will need to let me know that you plan to do this.  Please notify me by email by 5/23/18.

If you are not taking another on-campus course, you may take the exam remotely.  I will need you to designate a proctor (someone who can give the exam to you). I will need that person's email address by 5/23/18.  If you are taking the exam remotely with a proctor, the exam will open at 9 am and close at 11:55 pm.  You will be given the same amount of time to complete the exam as an on-campus section.

The exam is worth 100 points. Requests for make-up exams (because you missed the exam and have an approved reason per the syllabus) must be received within 36 hours of the scheduled exam time.